Monday, September 5, 2011

Book Club: Before I Fall

Read the Prologue here.
Buy on Amazon for $12 here.

What if you only had one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life?


Samantha Kingston has it all: the world’s most crush-worthy boyfriend, three amazing best friends, and first pick of everything at Thomas Jefferson High—from the best table in the cafeteria to the choicest parking spot. Friday, February 12, should be just another day in her charmed life.

Instead, it turns out to be her last. Then she gets a second chance. Seven chances, in fact. Reliving her last day during one miraculous week, she will untangle the mystery surrounding her death—and discover the true value of everything she is in danger of losing.

A friend of me lent me this book to read and I'm so glad she did! I finished reading it 5 minutes ago and I'm sitting her wishing I had more to read. Oliver's book is an incredibly intriguing read, it will take you straight back to your days walking the halls of your high school. I could practically hear the sound of sneakers squeaking their ways through my high school cafeteria.

This story will make you laugh and cry and ponder the ways of the universe. Oliver's writing is thoughtful and insightful and surprisingly funny. I think anyone who's ever been, or known a teenage girl can relate to Sam and her struggles. I love watching Sam discover what (or shall we say WHO) she really wanted despite the 'uncoolness' of it all. The tension between Kent and Sam is painfully wonderful, and you can't help but cheer for them to work it out.

Most of all I love the message of this book. Not being too many years away from my own high school experience I remember clearly how everyone is just trying to fit in and not make waves. Desperately trying to climb their way up the high school hierarchy. Before I Fall shows us how trivial worrying about what 'Sally thinks of my new boots' or if 'Johnny is popular enough for me to like'. Like the book says,

"Maybe you can afford to wait. Maybe for you there's a tomorrow. Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows, or three thousand, or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around in it, let it slide like coins through your fingers. So much time you can waste it. But for some of us there's only today. And the truth is, you never really know."

I totally recommend this book, although I do warn there is a fair amount of swearing in it.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad you liked it! Thanks to Amy for letting us both borrow it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really did! Seriously, thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. EWWW I'll have to check it out :) I finally hooked it up so I can comment on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's the EWWWW for?!!! Did you get ANOTHER dog?!?!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...