Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Sugar Cookies

I've always been afraid of Sugar Cookies. They intimidate me. Don't get me wrong, I can do a MEAN chocolate chip cookie, but when it goes past mixing and spooning dough onto a cookie sheet I get a little nervous. But I found this simple recipe on Stephanie's Kitchen and decided to finally take them on. I had to improvise a little because I don't own a rolling pin (I ended up using a water bottle, but I think it got the job done). I think they turned out really well, I especially liked the frosting recipe. Although next time I think I will pay more attention to the thickness of my cookies. :) If you've been a coward like me give these a try. If I can do it, so can you.

Soft Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter
1 egg
1 cup powdered sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla

In a large bowl, cream butter. Add egg and mix. Add powdered sugar and beat well. Add remaining ingredients and mix. On a floured surface, roll out dough about 1/2 inch thick. Add additional flour if dough is too sticky. Cut dough into desired shapes. Bake on greased cookie sheets at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Cool on wire rack and frost with Buttercream Frosting.

Buttercream Frosting

1/3 cup butter
4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
milk

In a bowl beat butter until fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in the 1/4 cup milk and vanilla. slowly beat in remaining sugar. Beat in additional milk, if needed, to make of spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...