Friday, November 4, 2011

Lots of Books I Love

There are so many books out there that I already love, and so many that are waiting for me to love them. I am one of those people that can read a book over and over again. My husband can never seems to understand it, but I can't help myself. I love to immerse myself into their different worlds.


Next on my list to read is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I have yet to talk with a single person who has had anything bad to say about it. I'll publish


Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo.

And now a short list of some of my favorite books.


Harry Potter Series

Rate it * * * * *

What's it about? Ok, I'll tell you what you should already know. Harry Potter is the story of a young boy orphaned before he could walk living with his hostile Aunt, Uncle, and cousin. As he discovers his true heritage of magic (that his Uncle tried to keep hidden from him) he enters another world of witches and goblins and trolls and anything else you could ever imagine. Along with his heritage, he also finds that he has a destiny that will decide the fate of his new world as well as his old one.


Why do I love it? There are too many reasons why I love these books. At the top of the list.... 1-I love Rowling's sense of detail and foreshadowing. I love the dawning realization when you read something in a later book that references small details in the first few books. It's like solving a mystery! 2-It constantly makes me laugh out loud. Fred and George Weasley in particular are incredibly funny! 3-Although it's in the Children's section of your local book store, it's not your typical children's book. It has so much more depth and sorrow than you would expect, and it makes them hard to put down.


Extras? I was a little unsatisfied with the ending of the series. I still had a lot of questions about what happened to a lot of the characters. Luckily Rowling gave an interview afterward and cleared up a few things. Click to find out what happens!



The Hunger Games Trilogy

Rate it * * * * *



What's it about? The Hunger Games is about a young girl named Katniss Everdeen who lives in a post-apocalyptic North America which is now called Panem. The powerful government that now rules has basically enslaved and impoverished the majority of the population so the people of the Capital can live in lazy luxury. The Hunger Games are a yearly contest where the government chooses a young boy and girl from each of the 12 enslaved districts to fight to the death in a televised spectacle. This year Katniss will enter the ring and for better or for worse, change everything.


Why do I love it? 1-Katniss is a very endearing character with her tragic circumstances, dry humor, huge heart, and of course, the way she's completely oblivious to all things romantic. Putting this love-impaired girl in the middle of a love triangle will make your heart swell and your insides wince. Not to mention that her skill with a bow and arrow is deadly lethal and kicks trash! 2-Peeta who's another point in the triangle, is my personal favorite. He's quietly loved Katniss all his life, and has to choose between her life or his own when they're both chosen for this years hunger games. 3-I love the overall story of the people coming together to try and overthrow a tyrannical government. A ragged army led by the unlikely, unladylike and sometimes unwilling hero of the people.


Extras? For more information click here.


The Mortal Instruments

Rate it * * * *


What's it about? The Mortal Instruments is a series about magical races living in secret within our world. There are the Shadowhunters who, with the help of special tattoos, are gifted with speed and strength to fight demons and the other dark things that threaten people. They are invisible to the human eye. And the Downworlders which include Vampires and Werewolves. Clary Fray is the central character who believes she is a normal girl until she starts seeing people no one else can see and is attacked by something she can only describe as a demon. She's protected and taken in by the local shadowhunters where she discovers that her family history is intertwined with her new friends. She finds herself in the tug of war of love with her best friend Simon and her shadowhunter bodyguard Jace. The series throws you so many curve balls your head will be spinning by the end!


Why do I love it? 1-While I married my nice guy husband, I have a very soft spot in my heart for the 'misunderstood bad boy'. Jace melts my heart with his sarcastic humor and guarded heart. 2-Clary goes from thinking she's completely average to having abilities that impress even her shadowhunter friends. I love a strong female lead!


Extras? The series was originally going to be a trilogy but there will be a 4th book coming out this year on April 5th! Not to mention a trilogy of Prequels! The first of which has already been released. Clockwork Angel (see below) is on my to read list, but I've heard nothing by good things about it. For more information on all of this click here.


The Wheel of Time

Rate it * * * * *


What's it about? The novels center around the lives of 3 country boys (Rand, Mat, and Perrin) who discover that they are meant for grander things than herding sheep or working in a blacksmith's forge. One of which is the 'Dragon Reborn', the reincarnation of the most feared and revered man to ever live, Lews Therin Telamon. He is the last line of defense the world has against the Dark One. Robert Jordan writes with such passion and wit and humor that I get so immersed I forget what's real and what's not.


Why I love it?1-Mat. He is my all time favorite character. He's the very model of a man who refuses to grow up. He loves drinking, gambling, and women, not necessarily in that order. He always has someone to blame for what ails him (usually his friend Rand), but despite his childish tendencies, he has a brave heart and a habit of risking his life to save his friends. Although he will complain about it the entire time. ;) 2-The lingo. Jordan not only creates his own language aka 'The Old Tongue', he also creates his own slang. 'Light!'='Crap!' 'Peace'='Calm down' 'Blood and bloody ashes!'=pick your favorite curse word and insert here 3-The struggle of good over evil. The entire 14, soon to be 15 book series is a giant struggle of good over evil. You're constantly surprised with who chooses which side and why.


Extras? The 14th and final book in this massive series is coming out this year! YAY! For more info on that click here.


CL Wilson's Fading Lands Series

Rate it * * * * *

DISCLAIMER - This is a romance novel series and not for everyone. However if you do like romance novels and fantasy books this is a great series. It's very soft-core romance, and hard-core fantasy.



What's it about? These novels are about Ellysetta Baristani the sadly awkward looking adopted daughter of a woodcarver. She's been plagued with nightmares and seizures all her life, which has caused her parents to be overprotective and her friends to be scarce. She's about to be trapped into an unwanted marriage with a harsh man when she finds that she has powerful magic and a soul mate in the legendary Fey Warrior and Tairen Soul, Rain. Not to mention he's the king of the Fey people. Rain and Ellysetta struggle to complete their mate bond before Rain goes mad and the evil High Mage can steal Ellysetta's vast magic for himself.


Why do I love it? 1-Love is the main theme of these 5 books, and it's done so well. They take you through every stage of love from attraction to eternal devotion, and you can feel every moment of it to your toes. 2-Once again you see a strong female lead in Ellysetta, but what I love about her specifically is that she starts out seeing herself as a silly girl and ends up a powerful woman in her own right. 3-It's rare to find a series that you're completely satisfied with the ending. These books are darn near perfect!


Extras? For more information click here.


The Baby-Sitters Club Series

Rate it * * * *

What's it about? So as you could probably have guessed, these books are about a group of friends who start a babysitter's club. Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia, and Stacey are the founders of the club, and the books follow their lives through several years.


Why do I love it? Ok, so there are literally hundreds of these books out there and I haven't read them all, but when I was a little girl I sure tried. These are the books that made me love to read. I was even a member or the fan club! I had originally planned (as a little girl) to name all of my daughters after Kristy, Mary Anne, Claudia, and Stacey, but I have since then changed my mind. :) If you have a young daughter I would recommend them every time!


Extras? For more information click here.



The Twilight Series

Rate it * * * * *



What's it about? If you don't know what Twilight is about then I will assume you are Amish. In which case you wouldn't be reading this blog. So this is really just for me. Twilight is about Bella Swan, an unusually mature teenager who gives up living with her mother in Phoenix to give her more time with her new husband, and forces herself to exile in Forks, WA to live with her dad. While she planned on being miserable until she graduated she found an unusual best friend, adventures, and the love of her life all waiting for her.


Why do I love it? Apart from Bella being a character that most young girls can relate to, and amazing love story that is told here, there are 3 things that make me love these books so much. 1-Edward 2-Jacob 3-Emmitt


Extras? On Stephenie Meyer's website if you click on each novel there are many extra's that she's included for you. From deleted chapters she calls Outtakes, to her song list for the book. It's really fun to check out! Not to mention the first few chapters of Midnight Sun, which is Twilight rewritten from Edward's point of view. Click here to check it out.



The Host

Rate it * * * * *


What's it about? The Host has 2 main Characters, but the twist is, they're both sharing the same body...did you get chills? The world has been taken over by the Souls. Alien beings who attach themselves inside of their hosts and take over their lives. Melanie who was one of a dwindling number of humans left has finally been captured. Wanderer, a soul famous for the number of planets she's lived on is placed into her body. Wanderer expected Melanie to be gone when she woke up, but Melanie had other plans. Melanie tries desperately to hang on to protect her little brother Jamie and her boyfriend Jared while Wanderer fights to keep control. When Melanie's strong feelings for her loved ones start to overlap on Wanderer it's all up to chance!


Why do I love it? 1-The love triangle get's a little more complicated when there's 4 people and only 3 bodies! 2-I love the idea of a world where money doesn't matter and all of our illnesses are curable. 3-Ian is my favorite lovable teddy bear!


Extras? For more info on The Host click here.


I love to discuss my favorite books and I love to get recommendations for new favorites! Tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...